Thursday, September 09, 2010

TNA is going in the wrong direction.

I know it's been a long time since I've written. Things will change now that I have a little more time and with the election season coming up, I'm sure I'll have a lot to say.

I'm going start a little light on the subject matter. As a fan of professional wrestling one of my greatest memories of wresting was the Monday Night Wars between WWF and WCW. I loved the real drama and competition that existed between the two companies.

As we know, WWE won the war and bought WCW. This left WWE as pretty much the wrestling monopoly. Now comes TNA. They started as a Pay-Per-View only show and then moved to Spike TV. This little company was an upstart featuring Jeff Jarret as the figure head.

Last week after watching TNA, I pretty much had it. To me, here's the main difference between WWE and TNA:

WWE has youth and excitement.
TNA has the elderly and not much more.

I'm watching TNA and I'm seeing my heroes of the past working away the final years of their career. Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash, and the original members of ECW.

Back in the Monday Night Wars, WCW stole the top talent from the WWF. TNA picks up the used up talent from WWE.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my heroes of the past. But at some point it gets pathetic. Although I will admit it's pretty pathetic seeing Bret Hart in a WWE ring as well.

TNA has all these story lines where wrestling legends overshadow the young, original talent from TNA's beginning. AJ Stiles, deservedly, is given a top position in the company, but what happened to everyone else, like Christopher Daniels and why are they intent on destroying Samoa Joe's career.

I'm not seeing anyone new making through the ranks of TNA.

The WWE on the other hand is highlighting their new talent, while at the same time mixing in the veterans. Case in point...Wade Barrett and the Nexus. When did you ever see a group of 9 first year rookies headline a main event. Almost every member of the Nexus deserves to be in the WWE, especially Daniel Bryan, who is undoubtedly exciting to watch.

I know that TNA owes Spike TV ratings, but you're no longer going to draw an audience by resurrecting the past. TNA's problem has always been it's weak ability to tell a story.

And the Diva's are much hotter than the Knockouts with the exception of Tara (vah vah voom).

No comments: