Friday, September 16, 2005

The Day I Met Phil Gordon

I know, we're all bored of politics.  So here's my second poker blog in two days.

I heard from MousePlanet that Phil Gordon was going to be at the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney for a poker seminar.  I was excited so I left immediately from work and arrived at ESPN Zone to wait 2 hours in a non-moving line to attend this event.  I had the foresight to bring Barry Greenstein's new book to read.  I unfortunately didn't have the foresight to bring a sharpie pen.

At 7:00, we're let in and I get a really night seat.  I find out that there is a drawing for a seat in the main event at the World Series of Poker. In fact, not only a seat and accommodations, but every day before the event, Phil is going to coach you and look at your table and give you pointers.  I have never wanted to win a grand prize more in my life.

At 7:30 the seminar starts and much of what he said was in his video.  I did learn a few things.  Never call off your chips with a medium strength hand. And always raise when first to act in the pot.  I suggest you get his video for even better information (http://www.expertinsight.com/?aff=75).

Afterward, there was a quiz based on the seminar.  Five questions and an extra ticket for the main prize for getting each question right.  I, of course, got 5 out of 5.

While everyone was completing the questionnaire, I decided to go and meet Phil.  There was a person in front of me and when it was my turn, I shook his hand and had him sign my video.  I only had the ball point pen from the seminar so the signature didn't come out.  The indentation is there on the video cover.

I told him that I was a fan and asked him how I should play these small stakes tournaments where the blinds double quickly.  He told me that I should play them and that I should play incredibly tight for the first two rounds and then apply pressure when the blinds get big.

Phil is a really nice guy.  He's friendly and outgoing with a biting sense of humor.  He's definitely handling his new celebrity status very well.  If you have a chance to meet him and say hi, take it.

I didn't win a thing.  That was the most disappointing thing of the night.  I have never wanted to win a grand prize more in my life.

Oh well, God's will, I guess.


No comments: