Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Facsination with Professional Wrestling

It's the early 80's and I'm a young kid living in a home without cable. There's just not a lot of content on TV. that's when I stumbled upon wrestling. More specifically I'm talking about the World Wrestling Federation. My earliest recollection was footage of Hulk Hogan defeating the Iron Shiek for the World Heavyweight Title. Then there are the images of Cindt Lauper helping Hulk, Captain Lou and Mr. T stand up to Rowdy Roddy Piper and Cowboy Bob Orton at Wrestlemania. These were real images of real people fighting for honor, their image, etc. I have to admit I wanted this to be real. Even then I knew it had to be fake, but my heart wouldn't let me believe it.

Every week I'd watch my favorie wrestler battle it out. Each battle would lead to the upcoming live event at the sports arena in Los Angeles. My parents refused to ever let me go. They said it was fake. Sigh.

It would be 2004 before I would attend my first live event.

Next time...Wrestling.

No comments: