Thursday, June 18, 2009

The War Ends Now - Homosexuality and Speaking the Truth in Love

I want to respond to a few comments from my friend, faktb.

The other day I expressed my love and friendship to my lesbian friend. But at the same time, I politely let her know that homosexuality is not right. I felt that this is what Jesus would have done. What do you think? Do you think Jesus, after communicating his love to her, would have told her that homosexuality is right? (View Original Post)

I hear this a lot from Christians. It's this whole concept of "speaking the truth in love." Most of the time I find this statement pretty empty. To me "speaking the truth in love" actually means "judging a person's lifestyle without yelling."

Politely telling your lesbian friend that homosexuality is not right, is not really speaking the truth. It's casting judgment on a person's lifestyle. If you look through the gospels, the only time Jesus every cast judgement upon anyone, he did it to the religious leaders. He never judged the lost.

Read any interaction Jesus had with the lost, you'll see a very different story. Let me point you to John 4, the woman at the well. At no point did Jesus state that adultery was right or wrong. The truth that he spoke of in love was about the woman's spiritual condition. She was "thirsty" and used sex as a means to fill that thirst...to find intimacy. Jesus identified Himself as the source of eternal water to quench that "thirst." Jesus understood that it was not the adultery that he needed to address but the emptiness in her life that only Christ could fill.

You mention your lesbian friend. My questions to you is what kind of friend are you. You've been very good about pointing out her sin, but can you tell me how she became a lesbian. Do you understand the inner struggle she had coming to terms with her homosexuality? Do you understand struggle of coming out? Do you understand the emotional pain she feels whenever she has to deal with judgemental people such as us, Christians? Can you understand mixed message of Christ she's getting when told that she'll never have a true relationship with Christ as long as she chooses to live this way.

Sure, we have the Bible, the Sword of Truth, but you have to remember that we're not supposed to use it as an actual sword.

On several occasions, you ask would Jesus support Gay Marriage, would Jesus have told her that homosexuality is right. The problem with your question is that Jesus never have brought these issues up because he knows that one's sexual orientation is not the problem. The problem is how do we fill the emptiness in our life. Fortunately, you and I have found Christ. Now, we need to let everyone in on our secret.

No comments: